It’s exam results day 2018 across Scotland and Kilgraston is delighted to announce a particularly successful year
Kilgraston is absolutely thrilled to have achieved well above the national average with the number of our leavers’ going on to study STEM subjects at undergraduate level. The national average for female students graduating from STEM subjects in the UK is under 25%: we have confirmed places for 66% of our Upper Sixth leavers going on to study STEM undergraduate courses at universities across the UK. This represents a 22% increase on last year when we had 43% entering undergraduate STEM courses.
“What is, I think, most remarkable about all girls at Kilgraston is that they will embark upon their chosen courses with many other skills and talents. They are likely to have studied another language, a humanitarian subject, a creative subject and developed the inherent skills of those subjects along the way. As a non-selective school, we are equally proud of our girls who have achieved their absolute potential and will be awarded with a creditable set of results. As a non-selective school, we are equally proud of our girls who have achieved their absolute potential and will be awarded with a creditable set of results. Kilgraston is fully committed to the Scottish Education examination system which gives pupils a breadth of choice in terms of subjects and the flexibility to change courses after their Lower Sixth year. Scientists can also study a language or history. Many of our Upper Sixth girls have made the most of this opportunity and have honed their subject choices and exam success to the requirements of their choice of undergraduate courses. Very well done to all the girls, staff, parents and guardians who work together to make these results so successful. I’m very proud!” said Mrs Dorothy MacGinty, Head of Kilgraston
- ADVANCED HIGHERS – Kilgraston pupils have had an excellent year with 92.3% pass rate at A-C and 67% at A-B against national average of 80.5% A-C and 58.2% A-B
- All pupils have achieved their first choice of university, none requiring ‘clearing’
- HIGHERS – Kilgraston pupils have achieved an impressive 88% pass rate in A-C and 66% at A-B compared to national average of 76.8% at A-C
- This year all pupils passed Latin, German and Music Higher with an A
- NATIONAL FIVES – Kilgraston pupils achieved 92.4% A-C, compared to the national average of 77.4%. This year’s S4 results exceeded the very high standards of 2017, raising the National 5 A grades from 58% to 62%. Remarkably most of these girls take 8 or 9 National 5 subjects which is also above the national trend.
- One Kilgraston Upper Sixth pupil, on the back of her three As in Advanced Higher results in Physics, Chemistry and Maths, has been offered a scholarship to the University of St Andrews. She achieved straight As, while simultaneously playing for the national hockey team! A fantastic achievement.
Many thanks to Andrew Milligan of the Press Association for allowing us to use his wonderful images of our girls receiving their results. Here is a link to the ITV website, The Scotsman , Bromsgrove Advertiser , Aberdeen Evening Express and The Times: who all thought our pictures were pretty good too…
Back to News