One of the earliest mentions of ‘Gilgryston’ is in the records of the 13th century. The main building was built by Francis Grant of Glenlochy in the classic style of the Adam Brothers around 1800 and was a private house until the First World War when it was requisitioned and used as a hospital.
In 1930 the house and grounds were purchased by the Society of the Sacred Heart and opened as a school with 40 boarders. The Society is a religious order founded by Madeleine Sophie Barat in 1800 to provide education for girls, and continues to have schools in over forty countries worldwide. The Society operated Kilgraston until 2000 when it became an independent Catholic charitable trust. A new chapel was consecrated in 1961, and the school has since been extended and kept up to date through our programme of continuous development to further our position as a centre of excellence for education in Scotland, whilst being mindful of maintaining our traditions and ethos.